Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eat Your Oatmeal!!!

Mama was right again!  Oatmeal is an excellent start of the day!  Its hard to believe that something that filled with CARBS (every dieters enemy) could help you lose weight and maintain health.  Well as for me....I am not on a diet so I love carbs I just use with much moderation.  Its not like carbs have more "calories" its just that you body absorbs more water for every gram of carbohydrates you eat.  So that is why it seems as if you gain more.  MYTH BUSTED! POP!

Anyway,  oatmeal has so many health benefits not only pertaining to weight loss but overall body health.  Lets start with the obvious
Like most carbs they are great sources of ENERGY!  Oatmeal is a complex carb which means it burns SLOWLY...giving you a lasting energy boost.  This will also kill unnecessary hunger pangs before lunchtime. 

It is a excellent source of FIBER...one thing that can happen when you are cutting calories is that you cut nutrition which impedes digestion.  Constipation is common among those losing weight...but if you are like me....anything extra is a hindrance to the scale...everything must go!  Just adding a lil bit of oatmeal to your diet will boost your fiber intake and push along any extra colon carry you may have around.  IT WORKS!

VITAMIN E:  Every woman's best friend (and men too)!  If you want pretty skin and healthy hair (which I have both) vitamin E is a must have.  Try mixing some oatmeal in your facial scrub or shampoo and see and feel the difference.  It will amaze you!  Also eating oatmeal will get this processes going from the inside OUT!

The possibilities are endless...it can help fight cancer, acne and so much more!  

How I use it:
My midnight Smoothie (recipe in previous blog Late Night Hunger Pangs) which I now drink in the mornings :)

Eat it the old fashion way....in a bowl
I use almond milk (my favorite) and sometimes banana or brown sugar depend on how I feel.

Avoid the instant packs....or use them sparingly.  They are filled with junk sometimes....so be careful....they trick us into thinking we are eating healthy and we are not....

So remember eat your oats kids!


Till Next Time....
 Stirring my pot of oats :) 

How do you eat your oatmeal? Do you eat it at all....I would love to know :) 

11 comments:

Good post. I love my oatmeal. Almost every morning.

I to typically have oatmeal almost every morning; just plain oatmeal (no fancy flavors) with a bit of cinnamon and brown sugar mixed in.

ggI don't eat oatmeal enough, but I do love it since I have started my diet. I love my oatmeal with Lowfat Yoguart and a couple of little pieces of fruit. Great Blog by the way!

I had to comment because I'm eating Quaker Instant Raisin, Dates and Nuts oatmeal. I have to make two packs and it will last me until lunch time! I also read that people who eat oatmeal for breakfast lose more weight! I honestly think if you just start to eat a breakfast you'll do much better :)

I learned to love it too! Now I eat it almost every morning! I like mine with cinnamon! Yummm smile

Hi,
Since I began my weight loss journey nearly five years ago, oatmeal has been my "go-to" food for breakfast most days. Just recently, I've stirred about a tablespoon of peanut butter in with it, and it keeps me full all morning. I don't know if there is any correlation, but I've also dropped the last three pounds that I was trying to get rid of since doing this, and gotten off of my plateau that I'd been in for over a month. I reached my goal weight this AM, and will have to see if I can maintain there. Might light to drop a couple more, so will see how that goes.

I do think the consistent eating of oatmeal has also helped with my cholesterol (that and the weight loss).
Kaye

Me too! I have it every morning ;o)

I've been having a portion of muesli with a low fat probiotic yogurt drink instead of any milk, I have the vanilla flavour and it's really tasty, good and enjoyable way of getting a good fibre rich breakfast! And it keeps me full for ages.

I LOVE OATMEAL!! Like tinaslim, 1 packet is not enough for me. Hungry Girl has a recipe for super-size oatmeal:

Super-size Oatmeal (from Hungry Girl recipe):
Ingredients:
1/2 cup Old Fashioned Quaker Oats
1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze
1 cup water
Sprinkle of cinnamon
2 Splenda packets
Dash of salt
Directions:
Cook it on the stove for about 10 minutes. You get a BIG bowl of oatmeal that is fairly thick, creamy, and smooth. Only about 200 calories and 6g fat, plus 5g fiber (PointsPlus™ value 5*). You can also add other ingredients: fruit, original Fiber One cereal (1/4 cup -- just cook it right in there during the last few minutes!), and even a sprinkle of fat-free powdered Coffee-mate (for added creaminess).
Makes 1 serving.

Monday thru Friday I eat plain non-flavored oatmeal for breakfast... creature of habit I suppose

I love oatmeal too! Usually have to sweeten it with brown sugar, but today I had it plain.

Post a Comment

It really means a lot to know what people think about my entries...thanks so much for reading and even more for commenting :)

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More