Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I Can Get Into This...Running

If there was one thing I did not want to do exercise wise...it was running (and push ups too).  It was uncomfortable and I was very self conscious of how it would look to on lookers.  Since going to the stadiums, Ive started also going to the track in the morning before work.  Ive only been once but it was almost enjoyable...

I did intervals...run the straight and walk the curve type of thing.  I was shocked at how many times I was able to go around doing that.  I have more endurance than I thought...I want to work my way up to jogging around the whole track one time without stopping.  It may take some time but I think I will get there before the Fall begins. 

One thing Ive noticed about running compared to walking is that running has instant results on my muscle layer.  It doesnt leave me sore like Id imagine it would though.  I can tell that there has been a change.  The one thing I dont like about it is that it doesnt have the slimming effects of walking.  I will do more walking than running but I will definitely add running to the mix. I feel bulkier...I dont know how I feel about that...but I am rejoicing in the process.  I am proud of myself! Im doing things Ive never done before and that was one of my goals with year.  To expand my horizons and perspectives! 

Im thinking about starting a running group...I was inspired by a great site called blackgirlsrun.com.  I may even start a fitness group with my students...I think that would be awesome for me and for them!  When I feel I am helping others...it motivates me to stay on point...ya dig?

I really want to acheive this goal and with what Ive been doing lately, I think I am definitely about to beat this weight FOR REAL this time.  I am claiming my victory! I believe God for so many things in my life but I never get Him involved in these areas of my life!  Now I am calling on Him for help! Obesity is a disease and by His stripes IM HEALED...but there are some things I need to do in the natural to acheive that....I RECEIVE MY HEALING!  How about you?

Watch out world....cause here I come!

Till Next Time...
Running for my Life...literally :)

15 comments:

I'd advise starting the C25K program - it's awesome for beginners. Oh, and get fitted for proper running shoes. Found that one out the hard way. Good luck!

I just started running as well. I think the Couch to 5k program is a great place to start. Just take it easy and if you're running outside, stay hydrated! Good luck!

Running has been my sanctuary for years. Try www.runnersworld.com to find a beginner program and advice. It is a great site.

I there! Check out my profile ... or my blog for information.
I started running 1 year ago ... at a much heavier weight.
All you need to do is add running into your walking... you can do it through a program called c25k which I dont personally like, or you can just start with running 30 second and walking 4minutes... then increase the running and decrease the walking.

Check out jeffgalloway.com for other information...

Like everyone else has said, C25K is essential! And if you have a Smart Phone, I suggest getting the Run Keeper app! It tracks your speed, distance, time, calories, etc. Very cool!

And remember, start off slow and where you feel comfortable! You don't want to start off fast just to have to walk in 30 seconds time! The C25K will help you build speed and endurance!

I am not a runner either but I would like to be. I just decided that I was going to sign up for a half marathon in March. That gives me 7 months to train. If I sign up now it will be my motivator! Have you checked out Jeff Galloway or Hal Higdon's websites? Some really good training advice. Also, you can check out couch to 5k program. Friend me if you would like! I would love some support from new runners!

I started running in April.

At work at the moment (taking a quick break) but later I can send you a program i have been doing the past 10 weeks to work up to 10K (you probably would not start this immediately).

I can also help out with some tips for getting started (that worked for me).

went the C25K route here, last fall...worked my way up to a 10K, will begin working toward a 1/2 marathon by the end of the year.

I am a baby runner myself. Only been at it for at couple of months. My advice is to keep at it. Don't give up. It's taking time to build up endurance and I am not even worried about speed yet. Good luck!

I just started 2 doing C to 5k.. my second night tonight.i have done it before got as far as week 6 :-(.

www.active.com has a lot of information on running. It also has upcoming races in your area. It might help you to pick out a 5k to run sometime down the road as a target to aim for. A good pair of shoes is also a great investment. Have fun!

Good to know I'm not the only new one! :) I just recently started running the last month or so. The months before I either just did the treadmill at 4 MPH with different inclines, cycling, or the elliptical. Lately, I have slowly been getting into running. Here is what I have been doing:

Treadmill:
Pick your favorite songs and make a playlist. Start off at a slow warm up walk, second song jog, third song run, then on the fourth, go back to walking. Repeat! I have been doing this the last few weeks for a few days each week and do it for thirty minutes or so, then do weights. On those other days, I either cross train, or I do this instead... Walk a half mile, run a mile, walk a half, etc. for an hour.

Outside:
Basically the same as above, except every song I alternate between running and walking.

Don't judge your improvements by distance, I've found that doing it by time is better.

Hope I helped, if any! Good luck! :) Also, drink water! I drink every 5-10 minutes.

Yeah C25K is the best way to start running Good Luck x But make sure you have some good trainers as it will will ruin your legs also do some leg strengthening exercises too as it will build up your leg muscles and help support your knees. x

Just Do It :) You may hate it in the beginning but you'll be addicted to it in the end!

Welcome to running! When I first started running I couldn't run from my mailbox to my neighbors mailbox without huffing and puffing. Someone on MFP suggested C25K and it is great! I was not a runner in my earlier years. In fact, I avoided it at all cost because I'm not graceful or look natural running. But I stuck with the program and I now run 5Ks, 10K, half and full marathons.

Don't worry if you can't follow the C25K program exactly week-for-week. If you feel you can't move to the next level, just repeat the week. It's a great program to gradually ease you into running.

I agree with LittleMissAlx on running shoes. They make a world of difference. Also important are running socks. Don't go to the local store and get standard everyday socks. Once you start running those will rub blisters. Go to a running store and Invest the $15.00 in running socks. Your feet will thank you.

Post a Comment

It really means a lot to know what people think about my entries...thanks so much for reading and even more for commenting :)

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More