Monday, July 20, 2009

Big Changes Going On....

Older Post from other site...April 30, 2009

I am making major changes in my life right now....

Have you ever been in a situation where you feel lost and wonder why I am I here....you hate what you do and you cant seem to find your way out? Well that would be my situation for the last year. I have always loved science and desired to be a doctor since I can remember. I did the necessary steps to make this dream come to pass. I got into Medical School to do research and thought that NOW I HAVE ARRIVED! At first everything seemed great....I loved where I was and what I was learning but then it happened. I started to get into this research field and realized....I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS! I found out that my life wouldn't be filled with finding cures and playing with chemicals and fascinating situations but I would be confined to a desk writing grants and in intense competition for the limited funds available just to keep my head above water. O NO! I cant stomach that for the rest of my life. I have learned one thing about myself during this journey....I like to teach! I love to teach! Most of you know that I am a teacher in ministry at my church (those who didn't know...now you do!). When God initially brought this to me I was like EWW! I hate teaching....but you never know what you like until you try it (unless that thing is a sin...dont try that stuff... just a tidbit for those with smart mouths who may say something foolish Marcus)! Same goes with the things you like...I thought I liked research but now I see I dont like it as much as I thought. I refuse to be unhappy for the rest of my life just to have a title and some letters behind my name.

So whats next...
I am in the process of changing my track for a PhD to that of a MS so that I can really pursue teaching. Who knows in the future I may want to go back and finish...I seriously doubt that. Im just saying....
I am a bit nervous about how this whole thing is going to play out but I know I am not happy and I need to do what I want to do...I know I have been shown a way to reach that place and that is not by happenstance. My advisor is more than supportive and can see that this field is NOT for me....

So you may wonder what I want to do with my life...I want to of course teach science maybe physiology or biology as well as advise students especially at junior colleges or small universities....those students are always lost without direction....

Im happy so all I ask is that you be happy for me in this process. Love you guys!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It really means a lot to know what people think about my entries...thanks so much for reading and even more for commenting :)

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More