Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Hair....

 So my hair has developed a local fan base.  All day every day I get stopped in stores and on the street with the same questions (or a variation)...."How do you get you hair curly like that?" or "What are you?".  I must say since going natural a little over four years ago its been a great journey.  When I was relaxed, I never did my own  hair...every two weeks in the hair dresser spending mucho dinero only to walk out, sweat and then POOF here comes the puff!  I was tired of wasting my money and my time.  So I transitioned for about 10 months and CHOP! 
So here are my hair stats:

Length:  APL (arm pit length when straight)
Type:  3c/4a (I'm not too sure...)
Color:  Red (a mix I created)
Thickness: I would consider my hair pretty thick
So to answer the questions:

How do I get my hair so curly.....well its simple -------->  GENETICS!  Sorry ladies there is no magic bottle that will produce this...unless maybe you wanna bring the Jeri curl back (dont do it!) or texturizer is an option.   Either way you wont be natural anymore. :(  

Dont stress about the curl pattern...whatever your texture...its BEAUTIFUL...its YOURS! Rock it and make it POP.  No longer will natural girls just wear an Afro puff all day everyday...natural hair has one advantage over others....VERSATILITY!  Be creative...

Now how I take care of these curls is another issue.  The key word is moisture!!! To produce delicious curls you have to moisturize, there is nothing worse than CRUNCHY DRY hair.   There are many products that provide moisture...I tend to lean toward items that end with BUTTER....Shea, mango, etc. Deep conditioning under heat helps the product penetrate into the hair shaft.  Another key is tying your hair up at night with a satin scarf....especially if you sleep on cotton pillowcases.  Not only will your hair be dry but it will BREAK.  So you will  have the dry/crunchy combo & you will also be BALD.  Not cool...

I personally make my own products...coming soon for purchase...stay tuned...if moisture is what you need...I got you! ;)

The second question type is "what are you?"  well....I am African American.  Both of my parents are black...lol!  Now according to the family history, my maternal side is mixed with Choctaw (a Native American group that lived in the region of Alabama/Mississippi).  My paternal side is rumored to have Native American as well...but that hasn't been confirmed :).  My hair is a good combo of my parents....my dad has thick tightly curled soft hair and my mother's hair is wavy and before she cut it was very LONG.  So I'm right in the middle.  

This is the start of many natural hair entries....stayed tuned!

Till Next Time...

Enjoying my world of curls :)

Versatility Ladies...its so FUN! Note: My clavicle bone is showing....that motivated me to work out...I miss them :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It really means a lot to know what people think about my entries...thanks so much for reading and even more for commenting :)

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More