Monday, March 14, 2011

Hmmm Hummus!

Chickpeas...mashed up? In my mouth....NO MA'AM!  Or at least that's what I thought once upon a time...the name alone sounds gross.  But lets learn to be open minded folks....especially my African Americans....TRY SOMETHING NEW!  Think outside the box....as a matter of fact break the box and burn it!  

Hummus is really a delicious dish!  I personally spread it on veggies like cucumbers and celery (with a sprinkle of sazon complete seasoning).  Most people use it on pita bread or crackers...I am partial to the roasted red pepper and spinach artichoke flavors by "Sabra" (www.sabra.com).  Its not too badly price either....retails at around $3.00 per 10 oz container.  It has a smooth texture and the flavors are bold and inviting!  I give it two thumbs up!  

Now the nerd in me had to know the health value in this middle eastern delight...will this help me reach my weight goal....deliciously?  Chickpeas are rich in fiber, proteins (which I need right now on my meatless diet) and contains many vitamins available which is an especially high source of folic acid which is important for cell maintenance and production of red blood cells (to my anemics ....this is IMPORTANT).   All beans have three components (saponins, protease inhibitors, and phytic acid)....I know you are like HUH?  Well in plain English...these factors can help fight off genetic damage to cells which can prevent CANCER.  


Did I mention it is delicious....for my calorie counters....its only 70 calories per serving (2 tablespoons), I usually use 3.  Using certain veggies, you can benefit from negative calories.  Dont know what that is...check out an old post here  (Reading is Soooo Fundamental!!! Negative Calories).  

So there you have it....Hummus is great!  GET INTO IT!


Until Next Time....


Slimming Down One Delicious Bite at a Time.... 

1 comments:

Too bad you had the wrong hummus pictured on this site. Sabra is anything, but hmmm. Now put up a picture that has Fountain of Health hummus, and we're in business. If you really want to go "Hmmm"...try Fountain of Health hummus. It is the best hummus going on the market. Sabra is being mass produced by Pepsi, and no longer has the consistency it once had. Fountain of Health has that, and full of flavor. Taste just like homemade hummus. Their Roasted Red Pepper, and Caramelized Onion hummus are the best. You can find them at Fairway, Food Emporium, and Kings Markets. You can also find them at various local markets. This hummus is creating a buzz around New York City, and for a reason.

Post a Comment

It really means a lot to know what people think about my entries...thanks so much for reading and even more for commenting :)

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More